- 1.Did you expect that your kid would win or were you surprised?
I never thought that Molly would win in her group. I thought that Molly might win a consolation prize; but the fact that she won in her group surprised me so much.
- 2.How did you feel in that certain moment?
Because we did not practice as much as last year, it felt totally unexpected and I was completely surprised. I couldn’t really believe what had happened, but as I talked with Miss Hiroe later, I started crying.
- 3.Did you do something special to practice and prepare for the contest?
Usually, I am not the type to give rewards. Instead, I prefer to spend time with my child like I do every day, so there were no rewards for practicing. We just listened to the CD of the teacher reciting the speech over and over again and then practiced a lot. To be honest, I feel a little bit bad for scolding Molly at times.
- 4.What did you do afterwards? Any special rewards for your child?
As I already mentioned before, I am not a big fan of giving rewards. However, participating in such a big and important speech contest made the day very special for us. Therefore, we had sushi at home in the evening.
- 5.How did your friends and other parents react?
As I told my friends, no one was surprised at all. All of them said things like: “Of course Molly won!” or “I knew it!”; and they cheered for Molly the whole time and supported us.